Wednesday 18 August 2010

Going Ape

Took the day off work today, so that me and Anna (my sister) could finally take Lily (my neice) out for her 10th birthday treat to...
Yes, you did hear me right, this was to celebrate Lily's 10th birthday, which is a lil embarrasing seeing as she is nearly 12 years old, but that is how long it took us to organise it! Well, I say organise... we hadn't actually booked a place, but drove the 2 hours down to Leeds Castle in Kent in the hope that they could 'squeeze 5 of us in', (2 of Lilys school friends came along). Thankfully, they could squeeze us in, (but we had to wait for 3 hours). That left us with 3 hours to kill.
---
The prospect of PAYING to look around the grounds of Leeds castle did not attract me, nor Anna, but the prospect of looking around a (well priced) gift shop DID attract Anna. This enabled us to 'sneak' into the grounds through the back door, avoiding the entrance fee. (Anna did buy a Spoon though). This behaivour is not something I would endorse, but I was not expecting it to be worth actual MONEY!.
---
It was tho... we enjoyed looking at the bizarre Black Swans
fed expensive (90p) Pork and Apple flavoured Tyrell crisps to a Peacock (by hand),

Then we made our way over to a MAZE made of hedges that were taller than us (similar to the one below), After 2 mins, Anna was heard saying 'This is easy, there are not enough options of where to go'... After 10 mins, we were heard saying 'i think we've been this way before'... after 20 mins we suddenly realised that not only had we failed to find the grotto in the middle, but we had also failed to ever pass the entrance again.... and were now in a desperate panic to get back to GO APE on time.


Which we did!. Now this was the 8th time I have done this, so I was determined to be better at it than everybody else!. I could give you the 45 min safety brief by heart, it has become a bit blah blah blah to me..


The below pic is the one crossing (of 40) that I hate, It is not normal for adults to be seen crawling! I accomplished the whole 'standing on my feet thing' like 33 1/2 years ago, and I do not like to be asked to get back on all fours for any reason.

The course took us 3 hours and 30 mins, (longer than ever before, yay, a record!)
On the way back home I was impressed to find out that one of Lilys friends (Suad), who is a Muslim, was fasting all day, although neither Anna or I had noticed that she had not eaten any of the food we had given her! how attentive are we!. She did order Macdonalds on the way home to eat after 8.30pm when she came clean about the whole fasting thing. Very Impressive, at 11 years old to be so dedicated.. Why dont Christians step up like this eh?
I had my predictable 'Deli of the Day' (Chicken Salad), and Mozerella Dippers, which taught me a lesson in humanity. My sister wanted to have one. To which I obliged with hidden reluctance: Obliged, becuase I am a sharing, giving person, who knew the right thing to do... reluctance, becuase there are only 3 in a bag in the first place. (Still, SHE paid!)
---
We sang some gospel songs on the way home and gave thanks for a wonderful day. I was not at all convicted about sneaking in to Leeds Castle without paying, and I'm left wondering if this is becuase it didnt matter, or am I un-convictable about theft? Surely this is theft? So, surely it DOES matter?

Oh, forgot to mention, We saw an Eel, in a brook and I felt quite proud that a group of people gathered round to look at it following my anouncement 'Oo, an Eel'. That made up for how SMALL I felt when I had backed out of jumping OVER the brook, incase I fell in. It was only about 2 1/2 metres wide, but I couldnt be sure (wearing jeans), that I would make it. Anna was having the same predicament. This went on until a Chinese tourist jumped it infront of us, with ease, in flipflops! Flip flops I tell you!. This meant that I now HAD to do it, (sinful nature - pride), This I accomplished with the same ease!... Anna, not so much... she scratched her leg, with her other leg, (I'm not sure... ask her)

No comments:

Post a Comment